Forums

How do you use People Categories?

I'm thinking about different uses for People Categories and Demographics. And I'm interested to hear how others use People Categories. What Categories do you use? How useful are they?

Posted by andrew

We use 4 categories:
- Visitor
- Child of Member
- Child of Visitor

Advantages:
- We can keep anyone that has nothing to do with kids out of seen any info on kids by only allowing them to see Member and Visitor.
- It my be a little dificult to set it up first, but after all the members are properly assigned, everyone else is a visitor or a child of a visitor.
- We can easily update from visitor to member or child of member when the person goes through our membership process.

Hope it helps,

Posted by pcardona

We use 5 categories:
- Prospect
- New Person
- Active
- Contact (those related to someone who regularly attends)
- Event Guest (those registered for an event via a form)

This allows us to determine who is at what level of commitment / regularity.. If that makes sense.

Quite different... We use the demographics to distinguish kids.

Kristy Sonneman-Smith
Dreambuilders Church

Posted by krissonsmith

[quote=pcardona]We use 4 categories:
- Visitor
- Child of Member
- Child of Visitor

Advantages:
- We can keep anyone that has nothing to do with kids out of seen any info on kids by only allowing them to see Member and Visitor.
- It my be a little dificult to set it up first, but after all the members are properly assigned, everyone else is a visitor or a child of a visitor.
- We can easily update from visitor to member or child of member when the person goes through our membership process.

Hope it helps,[/quote]

I like this. We distinguish between visitors, regular attendees and members but the same can apply to that.

Posted by MrWalko

[quote=krissonsmith]We use 5 categories:
- Prospect
- New Person
- Active
- Contact (those related to someone who regularly attends)
- Event Guest (those registered for an event via a form)

This allows us to determine who is at what level of commitment / regularity.. If that makes sense.

Quite different... We use the demographics to distinguish kids.

Kristy Sonneman-Smith
Dreambuilders Church[/quote]

That's funny. We use the demographics to distinguish our levels of comitment / regularity. I guess that's the advantage of Elvanto, make it fit to you.

Posted by pcardona

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. FYI, this is what I've decided to use for in our context of university student ministry. We're going to use People Categories as a way of categorising various levels of involvement/connection with our group...

1. Details Only (This is for students who have signed up during Orientation Week, or via our website, but for who we haven't actually seen in person yet. This way at the least they will begin to receive our regular emails)

2. non-Christian (For those still checking out the claims of Christ.)

3. Visitor (The first time someone turns up to something, they are categorised as a Visitor.)

4. Occasional (This is another word for 'irregular' - those who drop in and out when it suits, but aren't really committed to the mission of the group.)

5. Regular (Those who are committed to the mission of the group and others, and can be relied upon to show leadership.)

6. Graduate (This way we can maintain contact with graduating students, without losing focus on the bulk of our work which is undergraduates.)

The intention is to use People Categories as a way of pastorally thinking through people's involvement and maturity, so we can help them move from being unconnected/unbeliever to actively serving Jesus' mission.

Our intention is to use Demographics to distinguish between students of various Faculties, Postgraduate students, and International students.

Hope that's a helpful foil for others thinking through how they set up their People Categories & Demographics

Posted by andrew

Login or Signup to post a comment