Forums

Giving from a Business

How do we record checks from a business account? We have members that give personal checks and also give from their business. We have to track based on the name on the check, so we had to set up a membership record with the business name. We don't want a member's business to be counted against our member total.

Posted by salacy

Hi Scott,

Unfortunately it's not really possible to record which kind of account a person gives from within elvanto, but what might work for you is using the transaction 'method' field. If you were to change the transaction method to 'other' and just enter 'business account' there, you would atleast be able to distinguish this as different to a normal transaction for the person.

Hope this helps,
Hannah

Posted by hannah.pettett

In the US, giving receipts for tax deduction purposes have to be reported under the name of the entity from which the donation was received. So business checks have to be totaled and reported separately, even though we might know the individual who owns the business. My solution in this case was to classify the business entity as a child relationship of the member who owns the business. You might consider adding a family relationship of 'Business' that would not be counted against the member limit.

Posted by salacy

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your feedback.

I'll put this forward as a feature request to the developers- we might be able to look at implementing this in a future update.

If there's anything else I can do for you in the meantime, let me know!
Hannah

Posted by hannah.pettett

I know this is an old request, but this is something that we could use as well... so throwing my +1 in here. :)

Hi Kennon.

I've added your support to this.

Stewart

Thinking out loud - what about a custom field called, Business Name?

Just wanted to see if you could offer any status update here? Our accountant still needs to be able to treat businesses differently than a person and have them be a separate entity without first name / last name, etc..

:)

Thanks!

Hi Kennon.

We had a look at what we could do with this, and what other systems are doing, and at this stage haven't found a really good way to go about this.

For now I'd suggest to the company name in the 'Receipt Name' field for the individual, and if the company doesn't have a second word in it's name, just put 'Company' or similar in the last name field, and then add them to a specific people category for companies only.

Hope this helps,

Stewart

What we're doing is what Stewart suggested. We have a separate people category entitled Events Givers, and if a business donates, we put the business name in the last name field, and "Organization" in the first name and preferred name fields. I would agree with the idea salacy mentioned earlier, to add "Business" as a family relationship that doesn't count towards active totals and prevent those financials from being linked, too. This way we can still link a business with an individual, but keep everything else separate.

Login or Signup to post a comment